Sunday, February 23, 2014
Director's Cut: Eagles 2011
I don't know what I was thinking in February 2011 when I put together my annual Mississippi River eagle album. I posted seven images, only four of them of eagles, and said in this blog that I didn't get much. It's true I didn't get many flight shots except a few in Keokuk, mostly against gray skies. But upon further review, I got some really good roosting images, most of them above the road to the boat ramp (officially the Henderson Creek Day Use Area) near Lock & Dam 18, Gladstone, Illinois. When I bought my car in 2009, I got a sunroof so I could take photos of birds roosting in trees, specifically eagles roosting above that road. A car is a rolling photo blind, and the more openings to shoot through, the better.
When I went through my pictures again today, I selected 30, including only three of the seven previously posted. So this album includes 26 new images, including this fellow staring down through my sunroof.
There are a couple reasons why I'm going through my photos from 2009-2013. First, I was employed for much of that time and didn't always have time to go through my images thoroughly. Second, the laptops I used for most of my editing don't have the best screens. Now I'm using a large external monitor and I think my color and brightness adjustments are more accurate. Third, since camera resolutions and screen sizes have increased over time, I have increased my standard large photo size from 1024x768 to 1200x900.
Other recent Director's Cuts:
- Western South Dakota, January 2011, nine new images mostly of bighorn sheep.
- Eagles 2009, January 2009, seven new images, including a couple of fishing shots.
Saturday, February 15, 2014
Big, big update
From August 2011 to August 2013, I was working in Chicago and was negligent in keeping my web site up to date even though I was still traveling and taking photos. Now that I'm back in retirement and not employed (most of the time), I finally got around to updating the site with more than 200 new photos as follows:
- Chicago, 2011-13, created a new album (39 images) [Photos]
- New York City, April-June 2012, two-month work assignment, added 16 images to the existing album. [Photos] [Blog Entry]
- Chicago Air and Water Show including the Blue Angels, August 2012, new album (17 images). [Photos]
- Around Mackinaw City and Mackinac Island, Michigan, including a butterfly house, August 2012, two new albums (28 images). [Photos] [Blog Entry]
- Western South Dakota parks, October 2012, new album (25 images). [Photos] [Blog Entry]
- Rare hawk at Squaw Creek NWR, December 2012, new album (7 images). [Photos] [Blog Entry]
- Selected 2012 Photo of the Year, the rare hawk. [Blog Entry]
- Iowa Eagles, January 2013, added four images to the existing album. [Photos] [Blog Entry]
- Florida, January 2013, new album (20 images). [Photos] [Blog Entry]
- Western South Dakota Parks, March 2013, new album (8 images). [Photos] [Blog Entry]
- Montana and Yellowstone, June 2013, new album (17 images). [Photos] [Blog Entry]
- Mackinaw City and Mackinac Island, Michigan, August 2013, new album. (7 images) [Photos]
- A hawk in my yard, September 2013, new album (2 images). [Photos] [Blog Entry]
- Wind Cave National Park Trailcam update, October 2013, new album (10 images). [Photos] [Blog Entry]
- Arizona and New Mexico, October 2013, new album (15 images). [Photos] [Blog Entry]
- Selected 2013 Photo of the Year, a yellow-crowned night heron from Florida. [Blog Entry]
- My other web site eaglephoto.net has been updated to include all Mississippi River journeys.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]